- Date and place of birth: 28 May 1994, Taiyuan 03-0006, China
- Address: East Bldg. 2 (E4-5), 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
- E-mail: liu.h.al(at)m.titech.ac.jp
Haonan Liu is a researcher in the field of polymer science. He completed his B.Eng. degree in Chemical Engineering and Technology at Zhejiang University, where he conducted research on thermoresponsive gels with crystallizable side chains under the guidance of Prof. Pengju Pan.
Liu pursued further education at the Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech), where he earned both his M.Eng. and Ph.D. degrees in the Department of Chemical Science and Engineering. During his master’s program, he studied the synthesis, structure, and physical properties of tripodal triptycene-appended vinylic polymers and copolymers under the supervision of Prof. Takanori Fukushima. For his doctoral research, Liu focused on the morphological and nanomechanical characterization of block copolymer-based thermoplastic elastomers, supervised by Prof. Ken Nakajima.
After completing his doctorate, Liu worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Tokyo Tech from April 2022 to March 2023. In April 2023, he joined Prof. Shinji Ando‘s Laboratory at Tokyo Tech as an Assistant Professor, where he continues to contribute to the field of solid-state morphologies and their relationship to the optical, electrical, and thermal properties of aromatic polymers.
- Assistant Professor at Ando Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Apr. 2023 – .
- Postdoctoral Researcher at Nakajima Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Apr. 2022 – Mar. 2023.
- Doctor of Engineering, Dept. of chemical science and engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2022 (supervised by Prof. Ken Nakajima)
Thesis: Morphological and nanomechanical characterization of block copolymer-based thermoplastic elastomers
- Master of Engineering, Dept. of chemical science and engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2019 (supervised by Prof. Takanori Fukushima)
Thesis: Synthesis, structure, and physical properties of tripodal triptycene-appended vinylic polymers and copolymers
- Bachelor of Engineering, Chemical engineering and technology, Zhejiang University, 2016 (supervised by Prof. Pengju Pan)
Thesis: Thermoresponsive gels with crystallizable side chains
- Polymer nanotechnology
- Atomic force microscopy
- Thermoplastic elastomer
Award and Recognition
- JST SPRING Fellowship, Oct. 2021 – Mar. 2022.
- Best Poster Award, 27th International Colloquium on Scanning Probe Microscopy, Dec. 2019.
- Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship, Apr. 2019 – Sept. 2021.
- Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship, Apr. 2017 – Mar. 2018; Oct. 2021 – Mar. 2022.
- The Society of Polymer Science, Japan
- The Japan Society of Applied Physics, Japan